Monday, April 19, 2010

Cheddar Dill Scones


One of the lovely folks at the alzheimers home decided to share their terrible head cold with me and I feel just awful. I haven't left the couch for 2 days and I've never watched more HGTV in all my life.

Yesterday I somehow found the strength to peel myself off the couch and make scones. I was hungry and nothing else seemed remotely edible.

It didn't take much to make them (thank God) and though I couldn't taste much of them, the boy said they were delicious, and they certainly looked as much. I wanted to use some of the dill from my garden, it was getting a little out of hand and I had a big ol' block of cheese in the fridge so cheddar dill scones they became.

SO if you ever have a hankering for something that's savory, delicious and just doesn't take much effort, here's the recipe for you.

What you'll need:
4 cups of all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon of all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons of baking powder
2 teaspoons salt
3/4 lb cold, unsalted butter, diced
4 extra large eggs, lightly beaten
1 cup cold heavy cream
1/2 lb extra sharp yellow cheddar cheese, diced or grated
1 cup minced fresh dill
1 egg beaten with 1 tblspoon of water or milk for egg wash

What you do:

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees

2. Combine the 4 cups of flour, the baking powder, and salt in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment.

3. Add the butter and mix on low speed until the butter is in pea-sized pieces.

4. Mix the eggs and heavy cream together quickly and add them to the flour and butter mixture. Combine until just blended.

5. Toss together the cheddar, dill and 1 tblspoon of flour and add them to the dough. Mix until they are almost incorporated.

6. Dump the dough onto a well floured surface and knead it for 1 minute until the cheddar and dill are well distributed.

7. Roll the dough into balls or roll it out to be 3/4 inch thick, cut into squares, and then in half to be triangles (go with the balls, it may not look as fancy but it tastes just the same).

8. Brush the tops with the egg wash. Bake on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper for 20-25 minutes, until the outside is starting to brown.

9. Make someone else clean up and enjoy your scones.

Have a lovely day.

6 comments:

  1. Those look delicious! I love scones, but I've never made them (only bought them from Starbucks, haha)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, YUM. I'm sorry you feel bad, but thank god you do or else we wouldn't know about these!
    (was that mean? I meant it not to be...)

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow, these sound delicious! (and another wow for making them while you're sick!) i have wanted to make scones for some time now and since this recipe includes cheddar, it's even more of an incentive.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look and sound so yummy! Hope you feel better soon, Have a sweet day!

    ReplyDelete