Friday, December 11, 2009

Where did the love go?


Ok, I'm furious and I need to rant. I know that this is coming completely out of left field but since this is a forum for my mind and opinions for this I sure have one.

As a woman, this Tiger Woods thing has me in a tail spin. We hear about love affairs and cheating on tv all the time, but this really got me. I actually cried the other day out of anger for the mere fact that women aren't famous for being intelligent or working hard but rather for having a vagina and being a homewrecker.

When did this happen?! When did we as women reduce ourselves to being a life support system for a warm place to put it? Have none of our efforts to prove our worth meant anything at all? And then I hear these awful sexist and demeaning jokes about our gender and why am I surprised when we feed into it? I watched the interview with Jamie Jungers on TODAY this morning and I wanted to punch the tv. She didn't get any money only a broken heart?! Was she expecting money for sleeping with him (and yes, she did eventually ask for money)? And did she not have any idea that there might be other broken hearts in the mix? Say, the woman he stood before God with and married and maybe Oh, I don't know, his 2 small children? One barely out of the womb?

Have we no respect for other women? We stand beside each other and claim that together we will fight for respect but then go an stab each other in the back?

I feel like we're fed these messages from the feminist agenda, like "We're all in this together" or "We have each others backs" and I guarantee you if there were a girl in a bar getting the poor treatment from a dude a bunch of girls who don't even know her would stand up for her, but then what are we supposed to do afterward...go sleep with her husband? I'm sorry I didn't get the memo.

How have we done this? How have we ended up here? Where no marriage is sacred, Jamie Jungers says, “It was a thought in my mind, of course,” Jungers responded. “I mean, I’m not raised to do something like I did, and I’m not saying it’s OK … [but] I had a crush on Tiger for many years. I was very excited and honored that he was interested in me.”

Why couldn't you just say NO?! We're that selfish of a society, that we just don't care anymore. We don't care that people are married, we don't care that other people, including small children might get hurt in the deal, we don't care about respecting other women.

And this just breaks my heart.

I know that he's rich and famous, and maybe that makes his relationship more vulnerable, but I can tell you right now that this doesn't happen to just famous people, I was a child of a marriage just like that one, and I know many people who have been in the same situation.

But here's the thing, there are many men who are rich and famous for their success and the hard work that they have done, and there are many many women who are rich and famous for having sex with men. What kind of message does that send young women? You can work hard and be smart and maybe you'll be recognized for it or you could just go sleep with a rich and famous man and take the fast track? Just ask Marianne Faithfull or Pattie Boyd.

I know that it isn't women's faults that these things happen, theres a man there too, and the media have bought in to this and glorify these situations, but why has there been no one willing to take responsibility for this? And why can't women have more respect for themselves?


I'll end with this, and I'm sorry for my emotional explosion but I couldn't bear it any longer.

In response to a question from Vieira, Jungers said she is uncertain whether she feels like she owes Nordegren an apology for the year and a half she had an affair with Woods. “Yes, and no; I mean, I wouldn’t want somebody to do it to me, but I’m not going to take full blame for this,” she said.

No comments:

Post a Comment