Tuesday, February 23, 2010
Lessons on the road
(for all of you knee deep in snow, this is Feb. in California btw)
What I learned while on our tri-state road trip...
1) People travel with their dogs, I mean everyone and I seriously mean everywhere. I saw them at the Hoover Dam, The Grand Canyon, Vegas and everywhere in between. There are some world traveling pooches out there people.
2) The Hoover Dam is not interesting. I can't for the life of me figure out the appeal. It's the fifth busiest National Park Service area in the country, and I'm honestly thinking that its because no one has spread the word that its not cool. Besides being the one way to travel to the Grand Canyon, across Nevada into Arizona 13,000-16,000 cars cross the dam every day and that leaves one with some very knarly traffic my friends, seriously, when you just want to get out of the car? Man oh man.
3) Vegas is a fun place to go for a day or two, but its more fun if you're a frat boy. Las Vegas is busting at the seems with recreational activities for frat brothers to partake in. It's like Six Flags for douche bags. I liked Las Vegas, I had a great time looking around, I particularly liked the fountains at the Bellagio, that was my favorite but it reminded me a bit of Joan Rivers, if she were a city. She's old and haggard but she keeps putting on more make up and getting another face lift to look youthful and fun, but underneath it all you know she's really ugly and worn out.
4) Cirque Du Soleil is awesome, if you can afford it. It's no secret you'll have a lot more fun in Las Vegas if you are a millionaire. There is lots to spend your money on. But if you don't have a million bucks to blow on your trip, there is always Tix4tonight. They have kiosks all over vegas with tickets for shows that haven't sold out for that evening. We walked up asked for what Cirque shows they had left, she named off the 3 that were available and sure enough, after our pick, we had 7th row tickets to see LOVE at 9:30 that night and at a discount nonetheless. It was an INCREDIBLE show. Lots of fun and highly recommended.
5) The Grand Canyon is breath taking, but mainly at sunrise and sunset, all the in between time it pretty much looks the same wherever you go. That's when I would recommend a hike, that is if your bf is willing to go on one.
6) The drive to the Grand Canyon is NOT just a quick trip in the car from Vegas (I don't care what anyone says), and there is NOTHING to look at in between (it's worth it though). This is where NPR podcasts come in, I'm telling you, This American Life is a life saver, otherwise I would have lost my mind.
7) Road trips with the right company can be an awful lot of fun. Especially with someone you love.