Monday, May 3, 2010

Throwback

This weekend was mildly uneventful as weekends go. I did bake; it was delicious, my mothers chocolate chip cake got rave reviews (recipe soon to follow). I also went to breakfast with a dear friend, and I conveniently chose a breakfast place a block away from one of my most favorite vintage stores in all the world.

Knowing that I will be moving soon and this gem of a shop will be oh so far away I went in just to browse...and then just to try things on...and then to buy just one little something for mothers day brunch and then left with 2 dresses, 2 shirts and a sweater jacket. The best part about this place? I got it all for $50...

This place is one of those rare finds, a place you can walk in to and find authentic vintage clothing that won't cost a months rent to own. And I will miss it, tremendously. One of my favorite pastimes is perusing the racks at vintage/consignment shops, I love the anticipation and hope of finding a treasure and I love owning something no one else does. I enjoy the history, the quality and uniqueness of the clothing. Even my dry cleaner has said, "man, you just don't see quality fabrics like these anymore." And I like that I own those special things.

Now that I'm moving to LA I know that there will be a million little "vintage" shops all over the place, but I'm worried everything will cost hundreds of dollars and nothing will be authentic. Who wants to spend $300 on a replica? I don't.

Anyone who lives or has lived in Southern California have any tips or advice on places to shop for authentic vintage clothing that won't cost me my grad school tuition? I'd greatly appreciate it.

Now on to the goods:


60's mad men-esque dress $13, red silk blouse from Paris with flower detail, $8:


Electric blue sweetie dress from 70's $13, Black flowy hippy shirt $6:


Golf themed Granny sweater, $10:


What did you do this weekend?

1 comment:

  1. all amazing finds - but that first dress takes the cake! its gorgeous - perfect colors for summer.

    ReplyDelete